Sunday, April 18, 2010

I'll get you my pretty....

I had some righteous indignation yesterday, coming from both ways. I went with a friend of mine to a local craft bazaar; we took our 2 daughters with us (keeping in mind that my little sunshine has her issues). We had barely gotten in the door when this old woman knelt down in front of my girl and grabbed her hand and said, "Come here honey I want to talk to you." WTH??
Elle(my daughter), of course, dived behind me to hide from the creepy old stranger lady. I casually stepped in front of her because OLD BAT WAS STEPPING AROUND ME TO GET HER. Again, WTH? And I said, "Can I help you?" instead of slapping her. To which she replied, "I noticed your daughter was looking at Vera. (To those of you who do not know Vera, she is an older lady with a pretty serious skin condition; she is covered in large moles/bumps all over her arms and face.) "I was just going to tell her that God made us all different and that He loves all of us, even Vera. She doesn't have to be scared of her." And I replied, "I'll talk to her about it, Thank you." We walked around this bat and I leaned down to Elle and told her to not stare, it's not polite. Left it at that. Seethed inside because I wanted to say:
1. My daughter is well aware that God made us all different. Thank you very much, she deals with that every day.
2. You've ruined our fun day out because you are a nosy old bitch. Invading a child's space like that, what good could possibly come of it? You've definitely done more harm than good today, with your "holier than thou" attitude.
3. Vera is a mature, grown woman who has had that condition her entire life. She surely can handle a small child staring. She'd probably rather that than YOU running your mouth around telling people all about it.
4. My daughter has a small, set amount of calm points that she can use. Just walking in the crowded building with all it's crazy noises used probably half of them, and you jumping in front of her like that used most of the rest. So now, all she can think of is getting out of here, instead of being excited to pick out her new hairbow like she has talked about all morning. I should slap you right in the face for doing that to her, you bully.

Instead, I dropped it. I pushed it out of mind and got Elle back under control. We looked at the booths. We avoided old bat, and Vera. She calmed back down; we picked out several hairbows, she wore her favorite home. She picked out new shoes, helped me find the perfect necklace. She wanted to get her nails painted, but just couldn't find the energy to overcome the anxiety of a stranger touching her hands was creating (she might have been able to without old bat getting in her face, but maybe not). We came, we saw, we left. When we got home, Elle asked me about "the lady with all the bumps on her body". She thought she was a witch, so we talked about it softly and calmly.
What's done is done. The only one even thinking about it today is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment